Monday, August 30, 2010

30.8.10 ~ 200 word diary (now & zen)

As we walked to the train station for our Bank Holiday outing, I started to feel The Dread come over me. Despite it being warmer than I expected, I could feel the Dread of inevitability. Of summer coming to an end, of our Bank Holiday Monday with Paul coming to an end, Dread of going back to the same old routine of taking Jake to underwhelming playgroups and playgrounds and Sainsbury’s.

Then this thought landed in my mind: Each day is a new day, each moment is a new moment. It might look the same as before, but it isn’t. I’d read something like that in a book on Zen Buddhism years ago, but it was so true and clear to me at that moment that I had to stop and write it down. Paul stopped pushing Jake’s buggy and looked at me quizzically. So I said it out loud:


“Each day is a new day, each moment a new moment. It might look the same as before, but it isn’t.”

I waited for this pearl of zen wisdom to hit him the way it hit me.

“Didn’t you say that yesterday?”


That, dear readers, is why I love him.

No comments: