It's a rainy Friday evening and I just spotted this meme on na's blog, so decided to play along...
10 years ago I was 26 years old, renting an overpriced room about as big as a walk in cupboard that didn't even have it's own toilet. Everything was in one room, my single bed, a desk, a wardrobe, a shower, a two-ring electric cooker and a fridge. It was off the Portobello Road in Notting Hill. The walls were so thin I could hear everything my next door neighbours did and said. I hardly cooked because the smell of it would linger for days. So I visited the local chip shop far too often. I didn't think it was cool at all, it was dingy and depressing and my first taste of living alone in London. I despaired of ever finding anywhere affordable and decent to live by myself in London and definitely never imagined that in 10 years time I'd be expecting a baby. 10 years ago I probably didn't even want children.
5 things on my to do list
- Finish packing!
- Send out change of address cards to people not on email
- Buy some newborn baby clothes, nappies and a Moses basket before we move, just in case
- See the Hammershoi exhibition with Mad
- Go to the Psycho Buildings exhibition at the Hayward
Things I'd do if I was a billionaire
- Give millions of it away to good causes, I hate the idea of being that rich. Anyone that rich has probably had to exploit a lot of people to get that way.
- Use some of the money towards building a green home and setting up some sort of sustainable living / permaculture scheme to grow organic food for local communities
- Set up a fund so that such schemes could be set up all over the UK
- Put money away for my baby's future
Three bad habits
- Irritable when I am tired
- Very judgemental of noisy people
- Buying too many books that then go unread
5 places I've lived in the past
- Jerusalem, Israel
- Damascus, Syria
- Long Island, New York, USA
- Rawalpindi, Pakistan
- Nicosia, Cyprus
5 jobs I've had
- bit part in a Cypriot chocolate commercial
- envelope stuffer
- substitute ESOL teacher in a family hostel
Have a great weekend. I probably won't be posting anymore till after we've moved house.
P.S. The photo above was taken last summer, during a walk through Kensington Gardens where I found some fallen flowers, brought them home and kept them. I made several drawings of them once they had dried and I still have those dried flowers today!