Saturday, June 18, 2011

One breath

I've decided to create a separate blog just for my small stones.  It's here.  I've also posted a link to it in the sidebar of this blog. 

Lately I've been struggling with the idea of making space.  Maybe I always have.  Then today I wrote a small stone for Fiona & Kaspa's wedding and out of it came the idea for the separate blog for daily small stones.  At first I thought this would needlessly complicate life.  I mean, why not just continue posting my small stones here, just as I've always done? 

Well, because I’ve been realising that the act of making space is more than just wishing for it.  There is the wish or need for it, and then the intention to create it and then the act of making it, then claiming it and inhabiting it.  And because this act of paying attention, of taking a breath, of connecting to the world, is very much a ritual, a practice, even a prayer, I wanted to make a particular place for it, a sacred space if you like, both virtual and real. 

Two months ago I decided to stop writing small stones.  I can't even remember exactly why.  I was doing too much and it was starting to feel like a chore, something to tick off the daily list of things to be done.  But I've missed it.  And I find I need that connection to the world.  I've been too cut off lately, living too much inside my own head.  It's a dangerous habit.  Always has been.  When I get stressed, I tend to withdraw, lose perspective, give up doing the things that nurture me.  This is one of the ways I hope to break that habit.  I hope you'll join me over there, from time to time. 

No comments: