Monday, April 16, 2007

Even Fortune gets caught in the rain...






















So this is an ink and watercolour version of a 16th Century ink drawing that I found on the internet, researching images of fortune. The original drawing (the bottom one, in case you hadn't figured that out!) caught my eye because of the exquisite line work. I'm afraid my version of Fortune makes her look like she's just been splashed by a passing car, or rather a carriage, running over a puddle. But I reckon even Fortune has days like this, hence the title of this post.


At first I was intimidated by the original drawing and wasn't sure about attempting to copy it, but then again, I love a challenge and will try anything I haven't done before. In many ways, it was a pleasure to copy because the line work was so good, and I learned a lot from doing it. The drawing has at times been attributed to Durer, which is an error. The artist was a German engraver known as Master MZ.

6 comments:

carla said...

I like how well you've captured the movement of her robes... it is such a complicated drawing, and you did a fine job! It looks great in color!

Janice Ykema said...

I think you did a great job. I find myself.. once I pass a mental block.. (the I cant do it)... things just get easier... I can challenge myself to do more...
If you look at your drawing compared to the other... the original artist.. stretched their figure because of the perspective. .... you made it in more normal porportions ,

° said...

i think u captured the essence ot the original nicely

HARDWAX said...

I think you did good work here, and I like the addition of color. You are always challenging yourself, and I think I need to do that as well. Always fascinating ideas and artwork.

Mauricio said...

Very good!

very good watercolour:o)

Anonymous said...

I love your Fortuna.

The very idea that Fortuna can also get caught by rain, explains the philosophy of fortuna...the random distribution of good and bad luck...

I must say, I love your work better than the original version.

Beautifully done, tammy!