Thursday, June 21, 2012

I don't know

I don’t know if it’s because it’s Thursday
or the longest day, the first day of summer 
and yet we are already creeping towards the dark
I don’t know if it’s because it’s 4:34 in the afternoon 
and I am alone
I don’t know if it’s because The Walkmen 
are playing a waltz on the radio 
or I because I spent the morning with kids in school 
and my little Batman will be off soon
or because I heard of the death of another 
in the arms of his young mother 
or because my Mom’s polyps were benign this time 
or because it’s raining again and I still haven’t cut the grass 
or because a young couple are moving in next door 
or because of the smell of paint 
or the memories I can’t feel 
or the story of the lost owl 
or because I am sending postcards to strangers in China 
and there will always be books I’m not going to get around to reading 
and my shirt is damp 
and the strawberries are bruised 
and there is no one to smell my hair which I got cut two hours ago 
and I don’t know what I mean to you 
and a dog named Zeus licked my feet even though we hadn’t met before 
and probably won’t again 
but I feel as if I’m about to lose everything
as if it is all about to fall away 
and I will empty out 
and not be filled again.

2 comments:

see me said...

Then breathe again and you'll be filled with air and lightness and gain a sense of being.

Beth said...

{{{Tammy}}} x