Thursday, March 17, 2011

Letting go

This is what happens when you let go of your need to keep that box of gouache paints you bought nearly a year ago pristine and unopened and let your toddler play with them simply because he wants to.



Gouache rocks!  Depending on how much water you use, it takes on a texture like acrylics or watercolour.

The top one is Jake's painting.  I love that it looks like a bird-breathing dragon.  The bottom one is mine.  Both were happy accidents, just playing with the paint with no end result in mind.  I used to think I didn't like painting, because I was so focussed on not being able to do it well.  Sod that!  I enjoy it so much when Jake and I are just playing.  Long may that continue.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow I love Jake's painting! He's definitely taking after his Mummy with his artistic talents there ;)

Sam Pennington said...

Yes, we bought some paint to play with through half-term. I can't particularly draw or paint, but I've got to the stage where I can do it for fun. But the boy (elder variety) has hit that point whereupon he has decided he can't paint well enough, so he gave up. It is a pity because he can paint, but maybe its a phase he has to go through.

Loved Jake's picture, and yours too, of course! Looks like you both had fun xx