1. Choose and set up your subject. The assignment was to draw flowers. My friend Mad happened to give me some orange tulips yesterday, the perfect subject!!
2. Do a contour drawing in pencil. I decided to work on coloured paper to make it a bit more interesting. It's A2 sized, sugar paper.
3. Start to add the colour gradually. It's a long process, and there's no other way to do it apart from taking it step by step, paying attention to tone and shade.
4. Add background shadows and lighter tones from reflections before the light fades away!
6. Finish colouring in, add foreground colour and finishing touches. Here I decided to colour the upper part of the drawing around the shadows a light yellow, to give some contrast. Here's the finished drawing. The whole process took about 3.5 hours.