Saturday, March 13, 2010

100 Days Project wrap-up

All 100 drawings on our bedroom wall
(minus the five I gave away)
~
Over the last few days I've been reflecting on the project and how much I enjoyed being part of the final day event.  At first I thought the only way that I had become a better person (even if only marginally so) was through the character building stick-to-it-iveness of making a drawing and writing a diary entry every day.  But I've been realising that there's more to it. 

I'm really pleased I decided to go through with showing some of my drawings in the 100 Days Museum because it was a needed confidence booster.  It made me realise that what I've been doing, and my caring about what I've been doing, does have value.  Even though a great number of the drawings I've done now make me cringe, I'm aware that throughout the 100 days I'd been thinking of it as "just a hobby" and not that big a deal.  But it is a big deal.  And I don't mean that I've suddenly decided I am a Great Artist who should not deprive the world of my Great Art - far from it.  It's more a shift in attitude.  What I mean is, I'm being kinder to myself and not denigrating my efforts.  I've been reminded of the value of doing something because you love it and because it means something to you.  It may seem obvious, but it's something I've always had difficulty with.  I've never had that much faith in myself and have often laboured under the weight of doing things for approval, rather than for myself. 

The event was not what I was expecting, which was a relief.  I was worried it would be held in a super-trendy Hoxton-esque gallery and that it would be full of super-trendy people far too cool for me.  Instead the whole evening was wonderfully laid back and full of heart.  The exhibits at the Museum were beautiful and awe-inspiring, and even more so because they were shown on plinths made up of cardboard boxes supported by bits of concrete with sheets thrown over them.  And it was in an old warehouse.  Not the type that's been converted to maximise property / profit value, but the type that you and a bunch of friends might stumble upon and take over for the night for a great party.  Throw a few carpets and cushions on the floor, bring in an assortment of old sofas and armchairs, a few strings of lights and set up a makeshift stage.  Oh, and Josie Long, Isy Suttie and Sara Pascoe's sets were pretty damn good too.  Not to mention Alex Horne's film - composed of 6 seconds a day over 100 days in the life of his 5 month old son.  Unfortunately we had to leave after Sara Pascoe's set so missed the end of the night. 

Some of my favourite moments: Josie Long being heckled by a 9 year old girl, challenging her to guess her middle name (it was Bunny), Isy Sutties LOL song, seeing the other participants' exhibits, and spotting Edward Ross (he looks just like his comics!).  Oh and the fantastic dinner I had with my friend M at the Vortex jazz club next door. 

I didn't take as many photos as I meant to.  These were taken while we were setting up.  After the event started it got really busy and I got distracted! 

I took 16 framed drawings with me, but as we couldn't put nails in the walls, I had to limit myself to showing just 9 of them.  Here we are deciding which ones...



Next to my exhibit.  The blue cards are a few of my 100 word diary entries.


                                                                           

                                                                              
My souvenirs from the event

There is a review of the event here and here and The Hundred Days site promises photos and film from the event soon. 

So what next?  My 100 Days drawings are going to be sorted into some sort of album.  And then, I'm not sure exactly how, but I want to carry on with other new projects.  I'll be thinking about that over the next couple of weeks.  In the meantime, I will continue to post my 100 word diary entries here and blog about Jake and other lovely things.

Finally, a huge thank you to everyone who's encouraged, supported and followed my efforts during the 100 Days.  It's really meant a lot to me and will be what I miss most, so please don't be a stranger.

2 comments:

nà from the treehouse said...

I love your wall full of them!!!! Looks fab! Well done you. It sounds like the whole thing (project and final night) was such a good experience.
Let me know of your next projects, I may try joining in on one, if that's okay with you.

x

Heartful said...

Hurrah! Definitely! xxx