Monday, July 19, 2010

19.7.10 ~ 200 word diary (on bed linen)


At some point in my life (though I don’t know when) it was imprinted on me that in order to be a good host, you must be able to provide clean towels and suitable bed linen. Maybe that’s why I have more fluffy towels than we ever use and a ridiculous amount of pillow cases. Maybe that’s why I’ve hoarded the blankets and now vintage Scandinavian quilt covers that my Mum bought when I was a baby. Even though I can count on two hands the number of times we’ve had overnight guests.

But somewhere along the line I also ditched all my single duvets for doubles and then, when Paul came into my life, king-sized ones. It was nothing less than a sense of panic that drove me to Wilkinson’s today to buy a single duvet and duvet cover for my nearly 12 year old niece. It would have been the height of rudeness not to, especially since we are making them sleep on the floor. Do other people do this or is it just my peculiar fear of offending my relatives. I know she’ll only be here for three weeks, but Jake can use them when he's bigger.

No comments: