Sunday, June 20, 2010

Confession with evidence

Tonight I let Jake eat exactly what he wanted for dinner: a chocolate digestive, Pom Bear crisps and half a slice of bread.  And he ate it while we watched Dr. Who.

It's been a hard day (see my weekend diary post), and Jake hadn't had his usual 2 - 3 hour afternoon nap and Paul had rather unwisely left me home alone with our child for the company of some friends and a football match.  So this happened.  When Jake saw me whip out the camera he even held up the evidence to be captured. 


Getting him to bed was not as hairy as I thought it was going to be.  He was very tired and had been crying for a little while.  When I took him up, he turned on the bedside lamp and screamed to go downstairs.  Instead of automatically turning the light off, I just did nothing for a bit.  I let him calm down, handed him a tissue, let him wipe his nose then just looked at him with as much non-intrusive "It's okay mate" as possible.  He started chatting to me a bit, then let me sing him some songs and cuddle him.  I was whisper-singing to him, our noses touching and he was asleep within 10 minutes.  That was at 9:20, a rather reasonable time too.

No comments: